In the world of digital signage, there tends to be a lot of questions. Here are some of the most popular ones we’ve encountered. These answers will take away some of the mysteries that are often present when exploring digital signage.
Why not just run an internal Powerpoint or DVD, it’s a lot cheaper?
- It may appear cheaper on the surface but by the time you pay someone to time all those slides in and out and pay for and tie up a dedicated computer, it may not be cheaper.
- In most cases the Powerpoint and monitor need to be shut down in order to make a change whereas the Retriever plays new content with no downtime.
- Powerpoint looks like, well, Powerpoint. Images are often stretched or distorted and people generally tune out much faster seeing the same “slide show”.
- You don’t get the variety of Information slides to keep the content engaging.
- With Powerpoint you also don’t have the moving backgrounds that get the attention of your customer.
Why can’t we put multiple pieces (i.e. RSS feeds) of information on one screen?
- Doing so will complicate the update-ability well beyond what the target customer (middle & small businesses) can typically handle.
- It reduces the effectiveness of your messages. If your customer sees that weather (for example) is displayed in the corner at all times, then they just look at that and move on. By having weather as one of the slides in your rotation, they have a much better chance to see the other content as well because of individual slide focus.
- We do allow you to pick your own rss feed and even have some backgrounds appropriate to your choice once again making it easy to use.
Would we have to buy the monitors through you?
- It may be likely that the Retriever can be connected to existing monitors provided they are widescreen and have an the proper inputs & resolutions (see minimum requirements sheet)
- Monitors may be purchased by the end user separately. Our recommended equipment list includes monitors specifically made for digital signage and therefore have some outstanding applicable features.
Can you run multiple monitors from one Retriever?
- Yes, additional hardware is required to do this (see recommended equipment list) with plenty of options based on your needs.
- These monitors will consequently be playing the same content and therefore the same number of slides. Depending on the area placed, you may want to consider more or less slides and different content.
We’re not sure this is something we really need?
- The better question to ask is, “Do my current customers (and in some cases employees) know all the services and / or events that we offer?” OR “Can we do a better job at engaging our customers and making their experience with us more dynamic?” OR “Are we communicating effectively and in a culturally relevant way?”
Will it run video?
- Yes, however this is one instance where DRM Productions needs to help you do this. You may send them the already produced video you want to play, but they will need to encrypt it so it plays as one of your slide selections. This will be billed on a per hour basis.
Why don’t you recommend running sound?
- Three words: Employees Going Postal!
- Sound in digital signage is typically not recommended from your customers stand point either. You are trying to engage them visually and audio doesn’t necessarily enhance that. In fact, it can make them irritated and tune out sooner.
- That’s okay. We specifically designed it for people just like that. We’ve approached digital signage from a totally different angle. We are content creators and have included great animated slides that you simply type in text and / or put in a picture with text and it looks great. We continually add new content (called “content upgrades”) as part of the tech support on our end and is included in the monthly fees.
- No. It is by far the easiest system to use on the market. Since we have specifically designed it for the middle and small business market, we know from experience how busy and understaffed they can be. We had to design a system that literally anyone can use, even really busy people orthose who are technically challenged.
- We’ve kept the corporate flexibility in mind by allowing you to customize as needed. One or more administrators can control all slides for all locations. Meanwhile, each location can have control over whatever amount of slides you deem for local content. It’s all customizable to fit your needs.
- The system is so easy to use, they don’t need to take the responsibility of maintaining the content. That can be divided up by department if they want.
- Set up is very easy too. Our Dealers can simply coordinate with the IT department by asking a few simple questions and then it’s just plug in and play.
- The Retriever never “pushes” information or data, it simply retrieves or “pulls” content in. This makes it clean and safe from an IT stand point.
- In most cases your Maintenance Department can install the system. Depending on the size and scope of the installation, the Tech. Department at DRM can usually coach them through it. We do have a nationwide installation network available if needed.
- Our Resources page has links to leading sources of information on the digital signage industry.